Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Garage Sale Day


Sea Cliff's annual Garage Sale Day took place on June 8th. It was the first time in 3 years I was available to participate in this great tradition. For those of you who don't know my favorite Village in the whole world hosts an annual town wide Garage Sale Day the first Saturday in June. Last year I was in New Orleans, the year before that I was in Florence, Italy. GSD is typically good for some killer bargins, not to mention some priceless finds. Some of my personal treasures from GSD's pat include an early pressing of Black Flag's "Damaged", and a Black Sabbath 1983 World Tour shirt. I purchased the Black Sabbath shirt from St. Bonniface's Rectory Sale for 25 cents. Hell, I was baptized at that church, and I gotta a killer Black Sabbath shirt from it as well. The irony is tremendous.

This Garage Sale Day was different from years past. I wasn't going to run(drive) all over Sea Cliff's hilly terrain in order to attain a bargin. I suggest to my dear friend Lauren that we have a sale on her fathers front lawn. She loved the idea, so much that she invited a few other friends to participate as well.


<span class=

Customers came in waves. Dozens of people picked up this Led Zeppelin mirror, but no one wanted to pull their wallet out of their pocket and pay up. I was asking for $25 in exchange for the privilege of owning this gem. Unlike most people in Sea Cliff who try to sell in bulk, everything for a dollar, I was trying to cater to the higher end shopper.


<span class=



It got so damn hot that day. Wheelin and dealin with a bunch of bargin hunters made it fell even hotter. I even got a little sun burn. I did manage to sneak off to a few other sales. I got a Beach Boys tape, and some framed pictures of Dwight Gooden and Daryl Strawberry, circa 1986. Speaking of tapes, I had my car stereo(shitty boom box) playing all the hits. The Clash, Devo, David Bowie, all contributed to a real nice vibe.


<span class=

I even got my Rat Fink Pizza Boxes in on the action. Lots of lookers, but no takers. Oh well there's always Mini Mart.

No comments: